Decatur Family Law and Probate Attorney

What should you do if your ex-partner isn’t following a court agreement?

On Behalf of | Sep 29, 2020 | Uncategorized

You have two children with your ex-spouse, and you love them very much. You do everything in your power to make sure they have everything they need. Unfortunately, your ex-spouse has started to cause problems. 

Last week, there were three days that she was late picking up your children. When you asked what happened, she wouldn’t give you an answer. Unfortunately, since she was later than expected, that also affected your ability to get to work on time and to move forward with your other responsibilities. 

Then, a few days ago, you went to pick up your kids. They were nowhere to be found. When you called your ex, she didn’t answer. You waited at the house for two hours before she finally turned up. One of your kids was present, and the other was still at a relative’s house.

This kind of blatant disregard for your time and the custody schedule that you agreed on is what has finally made you consider turning to the court. It may be a good idea because the court does have the ability to enforce your child support order. If your former spouse doesn’t agree with your current order and is acting out to cause you problems, that won’t look good to the judge. 

When you speak with your attorney, remember to bring information on the dates when your ex was late. You should bring any texts, emails or other information you have to prove that she ignored the court order, too. Doing this can help your case and help you get everything back on the right schedule. Our site has more on what to do to ask the court for assistance when a custody and visitation order isn’t be followed.