Decatur Family Law and Probate Attorney

Custody issues? You can seek help with enforcement

On Behalf of | May 8, 2020 | Uncategorized

Can you imagine the devastation that someone would feel if they arrived for a scheduled visit with their child only to be turned away or find out that the other parent took them out and won’t be bringing them home today? If you’ve dealt with a situation like that, you may be at your wit’s end trying to figure out how to handle what you’re going through.

One option for you is to look into having the custody order enforced. A parent is not allowed to withhold custody, except for in very rare circumstances. Violating a custody order is a big deal, and it can lead to legal repercussions.

A court will enforce a child custody order. How? You need to file to hold the other parent in contempt. That’s something that your attorney can help you with if you’ve been struggling to see your children.

Once you file for contempt, the judge will look over what happened, including looking at evidence and hearing what you or the other party has to say. A judge has the power to send the person who violated the order to jail or to make them pay a fine. In some cases, a judge may do both.

If child custody violations happen often, you may also want to seek a modification of the custody arrangements. The judge may decide that supervised visitation is a good idea or that it’s better for the other parent to have primary or sole custody. Every case is different, but your attorney will help you build yours up to protect your interests and rights. In the end, the goal is always going to be to get you the access to your children that you need.