Decatur Family Law and Probate Attorney

Making Modifications To Existing Orders

As time goes on, legal agreements might need to change. Agreements you made during your divorce may no longer make sense. In order to do that, it is best to contact an attorney who can listen to your needs and adjust your legal documents accordingly. The Law Offices of Marilyn J. Belew, P.C., has been helping clients throughout Texas for over 20 years. We provide creative solutions to clients whose current plans just aren’t working anymore.

What You Need To Know About The Modifications Process

Child support, child custody and visitation can all be changed through the modification of existing court orders. Either parent can request it, and it must be filed through the court. There are many factors a judge will look at, including:

  • A substantial change of circumstances, including financial reasons, since the last visitation order
  • The last visitation schedule is impracticable
  • One parent moved out of state, without warning the other parent
  • A parent with visitation rights repeatedly failed to show up
  • A child custody evaluation proves it’s no longer working

It is important to have strong proof as to why a change is necessary. A judge’s number one concern is how it will affect the child. Together, we will do our best to prove it is in their greatest interest.

Typically, in order to modify an agreement, you need to wait one year after the original plan was put into place. If there is an emergency situation, the court will not force you to wait. Our attorney, Marilyn Belew, will assess your case and give you honest expectations. She has handled hundreds of cases over the years, so she can explain what you might expect.

Call Marilyn Belew Today; Let’s Discuss Your Case

If you are thinking about making a modification to your child support, child custody or visitation agreement, Marilyn Belew is here to help. Don’t take on the complicated legal system alone. Contact our office in Decatur today at 940-627-6400 or fill out our contact form.